The Crane Building was built in 1909 as a warehouse for the Crane Plumbing Company. Located on a half-block in Portland’s 13th Avenue Historic District, the western half of the site included the renovation and seismic upgrade of the six-story building into a combined retail, office and apartment building, with the addition of one level on the roof to accommodate two penthouse condominiums.
The 98,500 SF Crane Building conversion included 26,000 SF of retail and office space, 30 apartments, two high-end penthouse units, and a 20,000 SF basement converted to 46 structured parking spaces. The eastern half of the site included the conversion of a high-ceilinged one-story space with a loading dock into an 8,500 SF high-end restaurant.
Seismic upgrades on the project include the addition of over 2,000 cubic yards of concrete to stabilize the existing structure with a mat slab that supports concrete shear walls rising 100+ feet through the building. The existing roof structure was removed and a new conventional concrete slab placed to support the new penthouse units.